Monday, November 17, 2008

...the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls...

Did I mention that it was loud in there? I don't know if you've ever thought about it, but there are a few readily noticeable “problems” with keeping human beings comfortable in a data center.

The first problem is sound. The servers that run your websites and calculate your insurance rates are loud. In the world of compromise, having a quiet computer loses out to cheap (relatively) and fast every time.

The second problem is heat. These same computers that run you websites and store your email generate a lot of heat. Put a bunch of them in a room together and you'd have a sauna on your hands. Coincidentally, there's often times a direct relationship between how cool your computer runs and how long it last before some piece of hardware conks out. Even though fifty or sixty degrees Fahrenheit doesn't seem all that cold, there's something about being inside in fifty degree weather that just makes it seem a lot colder.

But I've lucked out. It just so happens that there's a nice, quiet office down the hall that I can hang out in. I've got my laptop with me so I think I'll hang out in here and keep an eye on the backup while I surf the web a bit. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

I just need to grab a cable out of the back seat of my car, and I'm good to go.

No comments: